How To Apply And Get Bank Of Industry Loan
Bank of Industry Limited (BOI) is one of Nigeria’s major development
financing institution and has been a flag bearer in the provision of
long-term financial support to various industries of the country’s
BOI has the mandate of providing financial assistance for
the establishment of large, medium and small projects as well as
expansion, diversification and modernization of existing enterprises and
rehabilitation of ailing ones.
The Bank Of Industry targets
businesses that engage in manufacturing and processing activities. It’s
target sub-sectors include Agro-processing, Solid Minerals, Information
Technology, Oil and Gas and Creative Industry.
1964 as the Nigerian Industrial Development Bank (NIDB) Limited, BOI is
the oldest and largest financial institution in the country. In 2001,
the NIDB was restructured into the present day BOI.
overhaul in 2001 was a deliberate action by the federal government to
place the bank in a better position to discharge its duties in a more
efficient, profitable, and focused manner and this was achieved through
the recapitalization of BOI to a tune of 250 billion naira within the
year. It has its headquarter in Lagos and offices in each geo-political zone of the country and the FCT.
2016, the bank formally launched a N10 billion Youths Entrepreneurship
Support (YES) project to empower youths with loans to start businesses.
Through the BOI’s YES programme, about 36,000 jobs are expected to be created annually.
Bank of Industry Loan – Eligibility
The following are categories of people/businesses eligible to access loans from the BOI;
- Small, medium and large scale businesses, excluding cottage industries.
- New or existing companies, seeking expansion, modernisation or diversification.
- Credit-worthy promoters who will be required to prove their
commitment to the project by contributing at least 25% of the project
cost excluding land.
- Borrowers whose management capability, financial situation (includin
the availability of collateral and guarantee), character and reputation
- Clients with demonstrable ability to meet loan repayments.
- Borrowers with no record of unpaid loans to erstwhile development finance institutions and other banks.
Project Selection Criteria
framework emphasizes on prudent management and project selection, which
is targeted at job creation and poverty alleviation in the country
and supports quality projects with potential developmental impact. The
Bank considers industries that meet the following criteria:
- Capacity to substantially add to industrial output.
- Projects that use largely domestic raw materials.
- Industry in which Nigeria’s comparative advantages could be converted to competitive ones.
- Ability to promote the expansion of exports through the production
of high quality products that are attractive to domestic and export
- Niche projects that produce for worldwide consumption. Projects that
create both forward and backwards linkages, with the rest of the
domestic or regional economy.
- Ventures that promote inter-state or regional integration.
- Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) that have linkage with large firms belong to clusters and operate under franchise.
- Businesses with high employment generation capacity.
- The project must be technically feasible, commercially viable and economically desirable.
- Projects that are environmentally friendly.
- Businesses that have good management set-up and proper accounting procedures.
- Businesses promoted by women entrepreneurs.
The following industrial subsectors are also accorded priority in the project selection:
- Textile and leather Polymer based industries
- Solid minerals
- Information communication technology (ICT) services
Criteria/Requirements for BOI Business Loans
Businesses intending to access loans from the bank need to meet the following criteria.
- Collateral worth at least 150 percent of your intended loan facility.
- Formal letter of Application
- Photocopy of Certificate of Registration or Incorporation
- Certified True Copies of Forms C02 and C07
- A photocopy of the Certified True Copy of Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company.
- Feasibility Study Report (4 copies)
- Quotations for items of equipment (at least 2 or 3 quotations from different sources), where applicable.
- Three (3) years most recent Audited Accounts of the company (for existing company).
- Organizational Structure and Management of the company.
- Three (3) years most recent Tax Clearance Certificate for the Company and two (2) Directors.
- Eight recent Passport photographs of each of the two Directors and the Company Secretary.
- Completed copy of Bank of Industry Questionnaire.
- Declaration of total outstanding liabilities of the company.
- Statement of Account for the past six months from the company’s bankers
- Acceptable Securities shall include a charge/security interest over
all of the applicant’s assets, copyrights, rights etc. and on the
equipment/ assets financed and/or the under-listed securities among
Intellectual Property/Proprietary Assets. Assignments of all agreements
and Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) to BOI. The Bank would have
right in the negotiation of valuation of IPRs
- Joint and Several Guarantees of the Directors of Applicant Company with Notarized Statement of Net Worth.
- Provision of Guarantee cover issued by any financial institution acceptable to the bank.
- Insurance cover from any acceptable/reputable insurance company for short term lending of not more than one year.
- Marketable financial instruments.
- Assignment of receivables/lien on proceeds/deposits and the right of set-off.
- First hypothecation charge on all the tangible moveable assets under the project.
- Ordinary producers would be required to bring in at least 25 percent of the project cost as promoters’ contribution.
- Producers would be required to tie up the advances from the Distributors to cover 35 per cent to 40 per cent of the budget.
- A Trust and Retention Account (TRA) may be maintained for all
capital as well as revenue inflows and outflows. Thus receivables on the
sale of all IPRs would be credited to TRA. The modalities of TRA would
be worked out on case-by-case basis to the satisfaction of the Bank,
which will have first charge on the TRA. Any other security that may be
acceptable to the bank.
How To Apply For BOI Business Loans
- Visit the BOI website by clicking here or any of the bank branches located in the geopolitical zone nearest to you.
- Collect the Bank’s forms
- Complete the BOI Questionnaire
- Submit the forms
- Download copy(ies) of the completed forms.
The Bank of Industry whose reputation is built upon a foundation
of integrity is opposed to any form of fraud, corruption or other
malpractice and is committed to working in an honest and transparent way
and will. It is important to note that the BOI is not just a bank
concerned with providing you with finance, but are very much interested
in the success of your business.
It is important to note that the
Bank of Industry is not just a bank concerned with providing you with
finance, but are very much interested in the success of your business.